Sunday, March 15, 2009

SUCH SWEET SORROW

John and Rhiannon are back in NJ , Kim and her team are out on the trail, and I am anything but alone at Iditarod race HQ, where I am staying with Kim’s mom and two of her other handlers, getting my hand and head into every facet of this “Last Great Race” that I possibly can.

My sadness over seeing my husband and daughter off at the airport did not stand much of a chance. Not because out of sight would be out of mind…but because after 15 minutes of waving good-bye from a distance, I realized they were not successfully getting passed the security check.

Sad became concerned as an agent came out to get me and a million thoughts ran through my mind. The thing that I did not expect was the message she was delivering, “He said to take this and have a good time with it.” A shiny metal object came at me, and when it came into focus through remnants of my tears all I could do was laugh. “Tell him I certainly will” I said, as I took possession of the fully accessorized corkscrew John was packing in his carry-on!

Quintessential John...and a great parting note.

No comments:

Post a Comment