Tuesday, March 10, 2009

AND THEY'RE OFF! - Sandy

One by one the mushers proceeded to the starting line – departing for Nome at two-minute intervals according to bib number. If you are wondering, there is a system for compensating time during the race since it is a staggered start. Actually, there seems to be an efficient system for everything…it is a highly organized operation.

When it was finally the time for “#52 Kim Darst” to proceed towards the start line, all of her dogs were in place barking and jumping and howling and absolutely frantic with the desire to fall in line and run. Kim had her 10 handlers, myself included, plus 5 additional handlers supplied by the Iditarod committee holding the gang line. And with all of that man-power, plus the resistance of a loaded sled and Kim riding the brake, those dogs brought US to that starting line!

I thought I understood how strong sled dogs could be, but the collective force of Kim’s team was outright mind-blowing! Just a short time earlier I was lifting and petting and putting booties on her calm well-mannered dogs – some of them fairly small. Now, as I was pulling the line with all my might (while running on ice no less), I suddenly found myself alongside primal dogs as they morphed into pack mentality - growing stronger with every step knowing that the freedom of a trail was ahead. All I could do was pray that I didn’t fall! It was the biggest, best rush I’ve ever had! The only thing better or more fun that I’ve experienced wa s being ON a dog sled…

No comments:

Post a Comment